Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Due Process

Its been a month since I made an entry. The DMOC group is ever changing! We are now using dues as a means to keep the meetup.com site open; instead of my credit card with no payback. I have "removed" several members for inactivity. There are a few more to remove, but what can I say; its not fun telling a mom to 'shove off' - even if she has an 80% unattendance rate and never replies to my 5 e-mails a week. I am sure some are unhappy with me, but its a group - not the Mia Show, or any other person's personal agenda. Some are good at admitting their not able to participate, some are in denial and only take personally the Removal letter.
Anyway, those who remain are the supportive 'got DMOC's back' bunch! They are so fun to meet with, answer their phones, give ideas, and followup if things get complicated. Its nice that their are some women who really want this and can support.
We are also getting involved with Mocha Moms. I was put off by the Stay at Home ONLY idea. Most of DMOC works outside their homes, but its been really nice to meet moms who are home like myself who crave a more diverse social life as well. We had one meet and it was a crazy day. DMOC's calendar was full so we had dual meetups with the Assistant Organizer manning one and me the other. its was nice to talk about race and color in our childrens lives. Of course the hair topic came up, and we raved about products that work for this or that hair texture----Fun!
I think I was able to persuade Mocha Moms to have a meetup for working mothers of color, cause' in Denver diversity is hard to come by no matter your employment situation. They are considering merging a meetup the end of February; and I think its a great idea considering all moms need more peer interaction. I am hopeful its a good mix, and moms are all on common ground.
We are trying to make a change in Denver for mothers of color and our children will benefit to see our effort and pride in who we are; especially with all our many colors and situations.

No comments: